ST. LOUIS — A man whose daughter was killed and another was severely injured when a space heater overheated and exploded is suing a Chinese company, alleging failure to warn and negligence.
Corey A. Strong, individually and as next friend of Caylee Strong, a minor, filed a complaint on Feb. 13 in the St. Louis Circuit Court against Guandong Midea Environmental Electrical Appliance Manufacturing Co. Ltd., alleging that the company negligently designed its space heater by allowing it to overheat without shutting off.
According to the complaint, the plaintiff alleges that on Feb. 13, 2015 Corey Strong's children, Cadis and Caylee Strong, were asleep in their residence when a space heater manufactured by the defendant overheated and exploded, causing a fire and smoke that resulted in Cadis Strong's death and injuries to Caylee Strong, who subsequently underwent substantial medical treatment.
The plaintiff holds Guandong Midea Environmental Electrical Appliance Manufacturing responsible because the company allegedly failed to provide adequate warning about the dangers associated with using the space heater and failed to recall the defective product.
The plaintiff requests a trial by jury; and seeks damages of more than $50,000, plus costs of this action and any further relief that the court may deem just and proper. He is represented by James D. O'Leary of O'Leary, Shelton, Corrigan. Peterson, Dalton & Quillin LLC in St. Louis; Freeman R. Bosley of Bosley & Associates LLC in Overland; and Daniel R. Brown of the Law Offices of Smith Brown LLC in Overland.
St. Louis Circuit Court case number 1822-CC00318